Browsing over the internet, you can find lots of copywriting tricks. Most of them are pretty clear and actionable, but we decided to make one more with unusual tips. We bet you haven’t heard about them, but they are backed by our experience.
Some tips may seem illogical, but they work.
1. First thing you want to do is to delete your first two paragraphs. Then reread the article and add just one single sentence instead of these paragraphs. Sometimes you don’t even have to add anything.
2. While working on a new article you should also work on something that doesn’t relate to it. Something like micro-tasks and puzzles to improve your flexibility of mind.
For example, listen to the story about two journalists. They invented an interesting game: each of them finds a word for the “opponent’s” material which you can find in dictionaries, but it’s very hard to use this word correctly. The task of each “player” is to put this word in a copy so the it passes the editor without any changes. For example, one of these words – “kyphorrhinos” was always deleted by the editor. Just try to follow their example and you’ll learn how to play with words and thoughts more easily.
Another exercise to improve your writing skills is to think how to add a link to your previous posts in each new one. The link should look natural and fit into the text ideally. Regard these tasks as an interesting and helpful game.
3. You’d better not use metaphors and similes at all if you are not sure about them. Really strong metaphor should be seen very rarely, once in 50000 characters, even if consider expert copywriters. A poor metaphor can spoil the entire copy.
4. Don’t rely on editors. Edit copies by yourself until the moment you are completely satisfied with the result.
5. An hour in the morning is worth two in the evening. Go to sleep and then look at your copy in the morning. You’ll understand that some parts need to be changed even if they seemed ideal the evening before.
6. Use your sense of humor. Yeah, it’s pretty hard, but if you are good at it then prepare to become a superstar.
7. You can read over 9000 books titled “How to Write Great Nonfiction Copies” but they won’t help you. Your main rule is “a day without a word written is a useless day”. This must become your copywriting law.
8. Write more than 10000 characters a day and then change and delete everything that you think won’t work well. The more you write, the less you get, the more professional you are.
9. Unexpected and provocative decisions and lines can be very useful, but only if you have no doubt that they are true. For example, like this.
10. Don’t try to craft belles-lettres copies. Try to make them interesting for your target audience. People don’t read copies because they have some “beautiful” words written in “beautiful” sentences. The reason is different.
11. Writing a news post, make sure to include a verb in a headline.
12. In general, a verb is the most important part of speech. An inaccurate choice of verbs can ruin the entire copy.
13. Learn the term “copy density”. What’s it about? It’s about a copy packed with useful information so much, you can’t throw away a single word or comma without loss of meaning.
14. Don’t regard every descriptive and metaphorical parts of your copy as dummy. Digression that stresses out the main idea can be very useful.
15. Master the art of storytelling. You may find a lot of new ideas to craft a cool story about your brand.
16. Be concise and clear. As Anton Chekhov, famous Russian writer, said: “Brevity is the sister of talent”.
17. Doubt yourself. Doubting that your copy is great is the best way to make it better.