Content plan is the most important element of your digital content strategy. You should put as many efforts as possible when developing it. Today, we offer you a few suggestions to make it easier for you to develop it.
1. It’s impossible to develop a content strategy in a single day – you should update it daily.
2. While writing a post for your blog, keep file with your content strategy open, because in the process of diving into your topic you’ll discover some new ideas, for sure.
3. You don’t have to write posts in the order that is set in your content strategy. Read latest industry news before writing a new copy – perhaps, there is something new that you can’t ignore. Put aside all topics and work on trending stuff. Most valuable topics are always born spontaneously – track marketing trends and publish at the right moment. Newsjacking is a great way to get explosive traffic growth.
4. Don’t limit yourself to just the English-language internet when searching for new ideas.
5. Before anything else, posts that you put into your content plan should be interesting to your target audience.
6. But! If they are not interesting to you then they won’t work.
7. Imagine the most concrete portrait of your buyer persona, based on the information you know about them. Develop topics that would be interesting to the buyer persona and write articles that they would like.
8. Content strategy can and should be a collective labor fruit. Involve as many teammates as you can in the development process.
9. Take your time and don’t reject the ideas you had at the beginning. You better create section in your content strategy for “content assets” which means a section with postponed ideas. Perhaps, you’ll find them useful later, if you structure them properly and make necessary stresses. Don’t underestimate the problem of ideas deficit – don’t scatter them. In this issue, it’s better to be a greedy one than to be a careless spender.
10. Borrowing ideas is bad? Forget it. The whole world is full of borrowings. Don’t you borrow our ideas we share with you while reading this article? Borrowing is ok. Theft is not ok. Borrow and share your ideas. Just remember that topics are common, while angles may differ.
11. Diversify your content plan with different types of materials. It must contain reviews, guides, instructions, news, analytics and certain amount of entertaining posts in popular format concerning your sphere.
12. Publish infographic at least once every two weeks.
13. Your editorial portfolio must contain video scenarios. Content is not only about copies.
14. At the stage of developing content plan, think of the experts you could possibly interview on each specific topic.
15. If you outsource copywriting then write the complete annotation describing aspects that should be developed in the article.
16. Never develop a content strategy for “yourself”. Develop it for “others”.
17. Headlines in your content strategy should sound in a way you can easily remember what you’ve been planning to write about.
18. It’s not necessary to craft a final version of a headline right away – you can make write several headlines and choose the best one.
19. But if you want to create a really good post then ignore the previous point. Writing your headline’s final version first is not necessary, but desirable. It may give you a “feel” of the future post and understand what its purpose.
20. And you should also understand that all of your “final” headlines will seem to be “final” only at the beginning of a content strategy development. We bet you’ll change them after you finish with posts. But it doesn’t mean that you don’t have to work on them at the very first stage. Try to think of final versions of headlines straight away – believe us, it’s worth it. The more you think about your post, the better it will be.