It’s impossible to give a short and clear answer to “How to increase traffic?” question, because there are too many ways to drive visitors to a website. That’s why we’ve decided to write this article – a helpful list of almost all known ways to get traffic. We say “almost” because we could forget or miss something. Anyway, it’s one of the most amazing articles on this subject on the Internet, and we hope you’ll find it useful.
Keywords List Research
1. Make your keywords list as deep and wide as possible. Include all types of search queries – not only high-frequency queries, but mid-range and low-frequency ones as well. Create a well organised site’s structure and start working on collected keywords.
3. Stay reasonable when sorting keywords. Think about what your audience will use to find necessary information.
4. Don’t think much about keyword density. Focus on content quality instead. Create useful blog posts that answer users' questions, give detailed information on topics that your targeted audience is interested in, and you will succeed. The trick is very simple: if your audience loves your posts, then search engines will love them as well.
5. Start blogging. Make sure that your blog has all elements that are necessary for promotion.
7. Post regularly. It’s better to post not less than 2 times a week. Don’t stop even if you get no results during one or even several months. It takes some time for blogging to give a result. Just deal with it.
8. Write only about things you are really familiar with, and on useful and demanded topics.
9. Post at one and the same time. This way your audience gets a habit to read your blog on a regular basis and wait for updates.
10. Remember to make your content unique. Each of your new materials should bring something new to the Internet: new information, new approaches, new point of view. It’s one of the significant ranking factors.
11. Do your best to create viral content: lists with a big and eye catching number in a headline, infographics, articles describing some unique experience. These posts always get a lot of likes, shares and comments.
Some popular list posts fr om our blog:
12. Don’t forget about case studies! Viral content is good but your audience needs something more to realize that you’re a real professional, and they can trust you.
13. Format your articles correctly. Each of your articles must have the following: strong headline, short and intriguing introduction, quality images with witty lines, incuts with most interesting and important facts. These things will make your post great and visually-saturated.
14. Try to emotionally affect people. Pick a fight, run controversial discussions.
17. Create a rating of most famous people of your niche. Tell what they are famous for, add their photos and links to their profiles on social networks. It’s likely that many of them will share an interview with their subscribers, so you reach much more audience.
19. Create a list of the most interesting or most shared posts on your topic. Such lists are bound to get lots of likes and shares. We used this tactic many times on our Russian blog and each time got more than thousand shares.
20. Write a response post. Find a related controversial article and write a post expressing your point of view. Make sure an author of the original post notices your writings.
21. Conduct an objective research of your market. Make it a basis for writing a quality White Paper.
22. Don’t limit yourself. Try to present your content in different ways. Don't use only articles and infographics, pay attention to other types of content: comics, podcasts, videos, presentations, and so on.
23. Write an article describing a typical customer. Use storytelling to describe your typical customers and their problems. Your potential clients will identify themselves and become one step closer to conversion action.
24. Study competitors’ content. Become a great strategist and track your competitors’ activity to understand what you should do to drive more traffic. Make use of our article How to Analyse Your Competitor’s Site.
25. Try to expand subjects of your blog. Then see what it leads to. Sometimes correct subjects expansion may lead to a pretty nice traffic growth. We have checked it, when we were writing on “business and self-development” subject. However, don’t go too far.
26. Revive your old content from time to time. For example, repost old articles from time to time or write a new one, based on a previous experience.
27. Freshen up your old content. Add new information to your posts, make them more helpful and interesting, update old pictures and screenshots. Google loves fresh content.
28. Try to change publishing dates. These guys from Northside SEO were able to significantly increase their search engine traffic by simply changing the publishing dates of some of their articles without editing content.
29. Become a content curator. Announce helpful articles of authoritative sources on your blog.
30. Subscribe to your market’s queries on Google Alerts. You’ll be getting notifications about recently published articles containing these queries.
31. Guest post. Write not to get links, but to reach more people, or you can get a penalty.
32. Create a forum on your website. With help of a forum you can significantly improve a bounce rate, build an interested in your subjects audience and improve your site’s ranking for low-frequency queries.
33. Start writing a column on a popular topical site. Believe me, it’s not so hard as it seems at the beginning. If you are able to create valuable content, your posts will be published for free on most of the popular websites of your niche.
35. Become an active commentator on niche forums and blogs. Use your real name and a photo. Post useful and interesting comments.
Related post: 20 Ways to Drive Comments to Your Blog
37. Collect reviews. Exchange small discount coupons for fair feedback, if you are engaged in retail sales.
38. Create official pages on all popular social media: Facebook, Twitter, Google+. Use our guide to get the most of Facebook: Facebook Marketing: 42 Tips on Business Page Promotion.
39. Start using Pinterest or Instagram. You should use at least one of these networks, if you sell visual products.
40. Don’t forget about LinkedIn and StumbleUpon. These networks can give a significant traffic growth.
41. Write full announces to your posts on social networks. It means they should have introduction, image and link.
42. Include interesting facts in announces. For example, quotes and statistics.
43. Pin the most important and interesting posts to top on Facebook. Click the arrow in the top right corner of a post and choose Pin to top.
44. Add call to action button to Facebook posts. Here’s how one can do it:
45. Use Twitter Cards. Make your tweets look amazing and informative to get more clicks on links.
46. Use Open Graph. This markup will make your social media posts look professional.
47. Make your tweets intriguing, so users want to click them. Don’t just post a headline and a link. Try to use phrases that cause interest and desire to read the full post.
48. Run a contest. Choose a cool award, make straight and clear rules and go ahead.
49. Trade discounts for likes. Use paid Facebook Coupon App service to get this feature for Facebook.
50. Cooperate with similar pages and groups. Find pages with almost the same number of subscribers and offer their owners to repost each other.
51. Tag and mention experts. Mention experts with @-symbol when citing them or reposting their materials.
52. Write 10 descriptions for an article (these could be quotes, numbers, unexpected conclusions) and post them on social networks for several weeks in a row.
53. Describe a usual working day of your staff. This may be a blog article or photo album and so on.
54. Use Pay with a Tweet button. It does the following: in order to download some useful content from your site (ebook, white paper and so on), a user must share this link on one of his social media accounts. This way you can seriously increase a reach rate.
55. Engage in co-marketing. Negotiate with your competitors to run a mutually beneficial cooperation. Mention each other in email newsletters, promote each other’s posts on social networks, write guest posts and so on.
56. Leverage email marketing. It’s one of the most powerful ways to drive traffic and keep clients. Don’t have money to start email newsletter? Mailchimp offers a free account up to 2,000 subscribers and 12,000 emails per month.
57. Create a landing page with a quiz. People like quizzes and consume this type of content with big pleasure. But beside viral effect, you can also get a lot of new subscribers (if you offer users to leave their email in exchange for correct answers). Look how it works here – “Test: how good you are at online marketing”. This landing page with a test gave us more than 1000 subscribers in several days.
58. Build links naturally. Try to get quality natural links from high-trust websites of your niche. It's hard but necessary if you want your organic search traffic to start growing. Use this awesome guide to learn how to do it.
59. Promote new posts in a newsletter. It’s not necessary to make your newsletter consist of links to your site only, but a couple of them (most popular for a previous week) should be added indeed.
60. Newsjack. Read our practical guide to master this technic and make your traffic explode.
61. Use paid promotion services. PPC campaigns, adverts on social networks and platforms that are popular among your audience, banners on frequently visited sites can attract attention to your content.
62. Pay attention to negative feedback. Don’t delete negative comments – reply honestly and in details. Admit your fault and try to compensate for it, if you are really guilty.
63. Use semantic JSON-LD markup. Nowadays it’s the simplest and most universal markup which is supported by all search engines.
64. Use rich snippets. They attract users’ attention and increase a number of visits to your site from SERP. More information about how to make rich snippets you can find here.
65. Remember the rule: one day – one change made on your site. Be the one who always does something, not the one who only dreams and plans.
66. Take care of “user happiness”. By improving user happiness, you send search engines a very important message – users solve their problems after visiting your site and reading your materials.
67. Conduct offline ad campaigns. Put links to your site on branded products, company cars, use flyers, radio ads and so on.
68. Track results of your activities. Become a web analytics ninja, watch for all necessary metrics, track social networks and mentions of your brand on web. This is the only way to understand what’s effective, and what’s not.
69. Focus on strategies that really work. Don’t copy what others do without overthinking their strategies. Try each method, mentioned in this article, and choose only the ones that work for you.
70. Don’t get hung up on one and the same thing. Look for the new ways to drive a traffic, platforms, tools and approaches. Discover new horizons and don’t be afraid to experiment. It’s this strategy that helps drive a traffic for sure.
It takes a lot of time and efforts to implement all of these methods, but it’s worth it, believe us. We have used almost all of them, and here’s the result: