Nowadays a lot of marketing professionals say that content marketing is the strategy of our future. That’s why today we are going speak about things you should pay attention to when developing a content marketing strategy.
Step 1. Understanding that you have reasons to work in content marketing
Blogging, as the main tool of content marketing, can become a stable source of lead generation for many businesses if its promoting strategy is developed correctly. If you create and promote qualitative content regularly and work on SEO correctly, then blog becomes your long-term marketing asset that will constantly generate sales for you.
And what is mostly important – content marketing results capitalize. Investing in creating and promoting content you will understand eventually that every dollar you’ve spent works for you: once article is published, it will generate views and leads constantly.
Step 2. Answering five questions that are important for developing your CM-strategy
- Who represents your target audience: who is interested in your product, who may become loyal to your brand, what are their gender, age, social status and wealth, where they work, when and what for do they use internet? Don’t limit yourself to abstract understanding of your target audience. You must complete the main task if you want to succeed and make your business-blog interesting to this audience – create the personified portrait of your audience’s representative. The easiest way to do it is to take a data of your concrete customers. Write exactly to them. It’s easier to nick it when you’re creating a content for a real person, not for some abstract portrait.
- Who are your competitors: what promotion strategies do they use, what are the sources of their traffic, what content do they create?
- What type of content is the most optimal for your blog: what are you going to write about, what audience’s problems are you going to solve, what type of content is better to create and, finally, what format and style of conversation with people are you going to choose?
- What content promotion channels are most optimal for you?
- How are you going to measure the effectiveness of your CM-strategy and what metrics are you going to track?
Step 3. Forget about search engine ranking promotion
High-frequency queries, search engine positions, list of 10-20 queries that are most important for your business – forget about it once and for all.
We are not going to focus on why promoting search engine ranking is not effective in modern marketing conditions. It’s very important to clearly understand one thing: nowadays promotion should be conducted on a broad semantic core, which means across the full spectrum of search queries. Any low-frequency or midrange query which relates to your business should be included in list. This is the only effective way to generate targeted traffic in nowadays conditions. So, work on making a broad semantic core.
Step 4. Make high-qualitative content
Qualitative content is the way to expand contacts with your audience, to increase brand awareness and brand loyalty, to make people trust you and, as a result, to increase sales.
There is a correlation between publishing frequency and traffic growth. The more content you publish, the faster your targeted traffic grows. Wherein the very important thing is that content’s quality is over content’s quantity. It means that one super-article will produce you with a better result than several mediocre articles.
Step 5. Never stop improving your website
What’s the purpose? It’s to create friendly environment for users. In other words, to improve your site from the point of view of behavioral factors of ranking.
You should work on:
- Optimizing website’s structure, by making changes in it, if it is necessary from the point of view of search engine marketing and user convenience.
- Expanding semantic core and distributing semantic queries in website sections.
- Organizing inner linking. Think over how pages of your website will interact between each other with help of inner links. If your content is interesting enough, then readers will look through your other materials by clicking inner links.
- Design. It must be functional, thus it must make it possible to use the full potential of a page with the maximum benefit: correct space organization, user-friendly font, font size, background and so on.
- Content. It must be of high quality, professional, contain expert evaluation and be useful to your audience, inspire its trust.
Step 6. Evaluate the effectiveness of your CM-strategy
Content marketing success is a consequence of investments and efforts made to create and promote high-qualitative content. And this success is measured in numbers.
These following metrics indicate the effectiveness of CM-strategy or the necessity to correct and improve it:
Number of visitors
Number of visitors reading your blog is one of the most important indicators of effectiveness. Tracking the number of overall visits to your site will provide you with an interesting dynamic data: it will show you a traffic growth and how it correlates with the changes you’ve made. For example, during last month. Looking through statistics of every particular article you will get even more distinct idea of the development of your blog. Analyze the number of views of certain materials and you will understand better what your target audience searches on your blog. Look at your five most popular articles (most viewed ones). What’s common between them? Point out the main factors that made them so popular – it will provide you with a global vector of content creation.
Number of leads
This is a very important metric of your CM-strategy effectiveness. Pay attention to the content that influences hits growth. Sometimes online marketers make a mistake when they judge a success of some specific article by the number of views. It happens that some articles with few views (comparing to other ones) generate a record number of leads and make a conversion miracle. Try to understand what was the key to their success.
Number of subscribers
Subscribers are your loyal readers, for whose attention you’ve been fighting all this time. These people may become your customers or recommend you to their friends. Seek for increasing their number. With help of subscribers statistics you can understand the dynamics of readers growth – readers that trust your content. Therefore, you can make conclusions and correct this or that part of your activity.
Any project aimed at increasing target audience’s and brand loyalty needs organic links. If some authoritative projects cite you – that’s great, it will help you to attract additional audience. Aim at getting more organic links and reposts by making a content of high-quality.
You should also remember that Google takes backlinks into consideration at ranking.
Track a number of organic links to this or that article in your blog. Try to include in your content plan topics that usually get a lot of backlinks.
You can talk about traffic, likes and shares, but for many of us the main indicator of blog’s success is a number of sales it generates. That’s why your best online marketing strategy (if you aim at increasing sales) is the one that starts with the question: what can I do to increase sales? The whole range of efforts must be aimed at increasing this very important metric.
We’ve told you about the most important things that you must pay attention to when developing, implementing and evaluating your CM-strategy. Still, there is one more thing to mention: content marketing is not about reaching your goals quickly, it’s about long-term results. So, be patient and persistent – and you will succeed.
© “Texterra”, At full or partial copying of materials reference to the source is obligatory.